Monday, April 11, 2016

Mental Health Intake Day

So this morning, I got up at 4:40 am to make it out the door by 5 for a walk-in appointment. The Mental Health Center here in Texas opens at 6 am, so I wanted to get there early to draw a number. My adoptive dad went with me. We stopped to get coffee from Starbucks. And we got to the center about 20 minutes early, so we sat in the car and waited. When we finally went in, I was given a number- 92. They start at 90, so there were 2 people in front of me. We took a seat and waited for them to start calling numbers. My dad pulled out his lap top and started working. I texted random people and looked through pictures on my phone. And looked around the room, wondering why there were so many kids not going to school today.

Eventually, they called my number and made copies of all my documentation (proof of income, proof of residency, proof of existence, etc.). Then, they told me to sit back down and wait for my last name to be called. So I waited. It didn't seem like too long before a man came out and called me. I went into his office, which was very empty and bland. No life or personality decorated his wall or book shelf. It was just plain. A diploma hung on his wall. A few diagnostic books on his book shelf. And even his desk seemed empty. It was sad.

Anyways, he asked me a bunch of questions about my mental health history. Have you ever been hospitalized? yes. Have you ever attempted suicide? yes. How many times? too many. When was the last time? A few weeks ago. Are you currently suicidal? no. Are you seeing or hearing things? no. Do you ever feel like you're really sad and then really happy for a few days? no. Are you or have you ever been homicidal? not yet.

So after asking a bunch of questions and looking over my discharge summary from my last hospitalization, he decided I was eligible for services and said someone should contact me within 10 business days to set up an appointment. So, something was accomplished today. Now, if I can get something accomplished with the residential place in the next few days. They are currently waiting for documentation from the hospital and the mental health center back home. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment